- Getting the Best Home Security Add-Ons this New Year - January 3, 2023
- Big Homes Are Big Targets; How Long Island Home Security Can Help - December 19, 2022
- Home Security Thwarts New Jersey Holiday Burglars - December 16, 2022
For criminals, porch piracy is one of the easiest types of theft because they can carry it out swiftly and silently. In the winter, when valuable gifts are being delivered and the sun goes down earlier, porch piracy is in full swing. In the cover of the dark, criminals speed toward victims’ porches, grab their targets and duck out of sight. In November and December, you need more protection from package theft than any other time of year. Here’s how you can acquire it.
Provide another delivery address.
If you don’t have a P.O. box, this may be the time of year to get one. By using your P.O. box as the shipping address on smaller package orders, you can protect your items from porch pirates.
If your employer allows it, consider using your work address; this is a trend that’s growing in popularity every year. By doing this, you can ensure your deliveries will be brought inside like other incoming mail. Again, be sure to check on your employer’s policy this before arranging it.
Schedule specific delivery times.
If you see an option to choose a delivery time when placing your orders, taking advantage of that can be another way to reduce your vulnerability to porch pirates. By doing this, you can make sure your package is delivered at a time when another member of the family will be home. Be sure to tell that family member what time the package is expected and ask them to bring it in the house safely when it arrives.
Use your smart home security technology.
Using your smart home security technology can be your best protection against package theft. More than 40% of porch theft victims have purchased doorbell cameras to help deter porch pirates from stealing from them, and for good reasons:
- The doorbell camera triggers a text notification when a delivery person is at the door.
- If you have a smart lock, you can use the two-way voice speaker to ask the driver to leave the package inside (you can use your phone to remotely unlock the door).
- Once the driver leaves the package inside and closes the door, you can remotely lock it as he walks away.
These are some of the best ways to protect yourself from porch pirates during the gift-giving season and beyond. To learn more about doorbell cameras, smart locks or other smart home technology, call us today. We’ll be glad to answer your questions.
About Commercial Fire & Security
Commercial Fire & Security is a locally operated, family-owned company where security is our only business. We work and live in the communities we protect, and our Five Diamond, Certified Alarm Monitoring Center has your back 24 hours a day. Call us at 855-237-3300 to request a quote or speak with our experienced security professionals.