Latest posts by Wayne Wahrsager (see all)
- Radon Gas Exposure in the Home: Is Your Family at Risk? - January 20, 2020
- Hi-Tech Tips to Make Holiday Visitors Feel Welcome - December 27, 2019
- Be Smart When Shopping for Smart Home Security This Holiday Season - December 20, 2019
Americans seem to base their knowledge of trespassing and burglaries on television and movies. However, it’s critical to understand the real facts about burglaries so you can keep your family and home safe.
Here are some general home invasion and robbery statistics.
- The Electronic Security Security Association (ESA) says that a burglary occurs every 15 seconds, and one robbery happens every 1.5 minutes.
- Most burglaries occur during the day between 9 AM and 3 PM per the National Crime Prevention Council.
- com explains that most criminals invade homes by the front door using simple tools such as screwdrivers or hammers. Sometimes they simply enter unlocked doors.
- February is the month with the least break-ins because more homeowners stay home because of the cold. Snow deters burglaries because they can leave footprints in the snow, making it easier for police to find them.
- Crime rates spike in the summer because many homeowners leave their houses unoccupied to go on vacation.
- Over half of the burglaries that happen in the United States are residential.
How a Home Security System Can Reduce Your Chances of Being Burglarized
Property crimes and home break-ins are the most difficult crimes for police to solve. One reason is that criminals are usually in and out of the house before law enforcement ever responds.
A burglar can break into a home in less than one minute, and they often enter through open windows and doors. According to the Electronic Security Association, in approximately 30 percent of all home invasions, the burglars entered through unlocked doors and windows.
Statistics illustrate that homes are three times less likely to get broken into if they have security systems. The National Crime Prevention Council says that homeowners often fail to implement simple precautions that can deter break-ins and property damage. Some of those precautions include installing strike plates and heavy-duty locks.
Approximately 74 percent of unsuccessful break-ins can be attributed to audible alarm systems. So, an alarm system is critical to keep your home and family safe.
There are three ways to buy and install an alarm. They are:
- As a bundled service through a phone or cable company
- Purchase one through a licensed, professional security company such as Commercial Fire & Security
About Commercial Fire& Security, Inc.
Commercial Fire & Security is a locally operated, family-owned company where security is our only business. We work and live in the communities we protect, and our Five Diamond, Certified Alarm Monitoring Center has your back 24 hours a day. Call us at 855-237-3300 to request a quote or speak with our experienced security professionals.