- How Video Surveillance Busts Long Island Theft Rings - September 26, 2022
- The Best Smart Home Security Tools for Long Island Commuters - September 20, 2022
- How Video Surveillance Can Prevent Slip and Fall Lawsuits in New York - August 30, 2022
Summer is in full swing, and we all want to enjoy it to the fullest. In order to do that, we need to renew our annual commitments to summer safety. Review these summer safety guidelines and commit to using them this season.
Do not handle fireworks.
Even in the weeks after Independence Day, fireworks can continue to be problematic in our local neighborhoods. Personal fireworks are illegal in Nassau County, and we do not advocate their use. Fireworks may be beautiful, but they’re also explosives that are responsible for over 10,000 ER visits per year (in addition to 19,000 fires annually). Please honor all local ordinances regarding the use of fireworks.
Prevent BBQ grill fires and burns.
Summer isn’t summer without at least a few meals at the BBQ. If you plan to host a BBQ or two, be sure to use your grill safely. The National Fire Protection Association reports that fire departments respond to an average of 9,600 BBQ fires a year. And even if a fire doesn’t break out, burning someone with the coals or grill is also a serious risk.
To avoid BBQ fires and burns, follow these tips:
- Assign one person whose job is to keep children and pets away from the BBQ grill.
- Keep the BBQ grill away from the house and any structures.
- Keep the BBQ grill away from overhangs, including trees and plants.
- If you have a gas BBQ grill, check the hose for leaks, holes or breaks (do not use the grill if any of these are present).
- If you have a charcoal grill, light the coals once they’re in the grill (not with an open flame outside the grill).
- If you use lighter fluid on your coals, only add it once (not later after they’ve already been lit).
Enjoy water fun safely.
Sadly, more drownings occur in the month of July than any time of year.
No matter where your family plans to swim, making sure everyone stays safe is your responsibility.
To fulfill your responsibility, follow these water safety tips:
- Closely supervise children around water. They should always be within arm’s reach of an adult.
- When boating or jet skiing, make sure everyone is wearing properly fitting life vests.
- When swimming in a natural body of water, keep everyone in the lifeguarded area.
- If swimming in a residential pool, take supervision just as seriously.
- Avoid alcohol and other substances before swimming, boating or supervising swimming children.
How Your Home Security Can Help
If your summer fun includes inviting guests over, your smart home security technology can help with safety. When guests arrive, swipe on the alert to see them at the door; then, use the two-way voice communicator on the doorbell camera to greet them. Unlock your smart locked door remotely with your phone, and let them know to meet you in the backyard. You’ll see your friends in a few seconds, and the kids will stay safe in the pool or around the grill because you didn’t leave them to answer the door.
We’re committed to supporting your family’s summer safety. To learn more about smart home security technology to help your family stay safe this summer, call Commercial Fire & Security today.
About Commercial Fire & Security
Commercial Fire & Security is a locally operated, family-owned company where security is our only business. We work and live in the communities we protect, and our Five Diamond, Certified Alarm Monitoring Center has your back 24 hours a day. Call us at 855-237-3300 to request a quote or speak with our experienced security professionals.